Wyrmtowne Games
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Tier System Explained

Go down

The Tier System Explained Empty The Tier System Explained

Post by Adam Fri 23 Jun 2023 - 11:34

With this project, I wanted to have... well, some sort of organization on what systems I would do, and what priority.
To do this, I had my list of game systems mapped out, and looked at them.
I could tell which ones would be the easiest and/or most direct for conversion, so they would end up in Tier 1. That ended up being three systems right there.
Tier 2, I figured, would be systems where the builds would not be so easy and/or direct, but were malleable enough to work properly enough, and work quickly. However, they would still be decent to work with as I'd be well familiar with them.
Tier 3 would be the ones with which I had at least some familiarity and could push the builds through, though the builds would not be so direct and would take some time to work. In other words, systems where it's been a while since I've even considered playing the game.
Tier 4 systems were the games that I've tinkered with, so there's a bit of familiarity, but nearly zero experience playing. Also, the systems would be a bit on the daunting side, and would be rather time-consuming to deal with, so they would be pretty low on the list.
Tier 5 would be systems with which I had nearly zero familiarity with, or at least looked like I could use to convert. Most of the new systems I encountered would fall in this category.

This is what the original list looked like:

Code:
System / Tier
13th Age / 5
Castles & Crusades / 4
CORPS (BTRC) / 5
D&D 4th Edition / 2
D&D 5th Edition / 1
EABA v2.0 (BTRC) 5
Fantasy AGE 5
Fantasycraft / 5
GURPS 4th Edition (Dungeon Fantasy) / 2
Hackmaster 5th Edition / 4
HARP (2nd Edition) / 2
HERO Fantasy 6th Edition / 2
Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition / 2
Palladium Fantasy / 3
Pathfinder 1st Edition / 1
Pathfinder 1st Edition - Unchained / 1
Pathfinder 2nd Edition / 1
Rolemaster 4th Edition – FRP / 4
Rolemaster 5.5th Edition – Express / 4
Rolemaster 5th Edition – Classic / 4
Rolemaster 6th Edition – Unified / 4
WOIN: Old v1.1 / 5

Yeah... lots of games here.
Combine that with ten characters, that's a project that could take... what, at least a year with doing everything part time?
And would I do this one character at a time, or one system at a time?

Daunting, to say the least...
Adam
Adam
Admin

https://wyrmtownegames.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Tier System Explained Empty Game System Block

Post by Adam Fri 23 Jun 2023 - 11:38

Game System

=========================

Conversion Method

Levels

-------------------------

Classes

Races

Attributes

Skills and Feats

Magic

Magic Items

Generation Method

Adam
Adam
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Tier System Explained Empty A Reduction of Tiers

Post by Adam Fri 23 Jun 2023 - 11:39

And so, over this past week, I looked at my list of game systems, and thought to myself, "What am I, nucking futs? This is way too big..."

And thus started what I considered The Purge, pruning away the systems I have never touched apart from looking at it and thinking, "Oh that system looks cool, maybe I'll see how this would play out." Those went into Tier None -- aka, the trash. 
Maybe I'll look back into those at some point. No promises.

Then I looked at what was left after ridding myself of the chaff... and figured that the Tiers needed a re-org.

And so... the new designations are as such:

• Tier 1 - Systems that are extremely close to the original, and would take little effort to convert. These would be the easiest to use.
  • Tier 2 - Universal systems, typically some form of point-buy systems where one could design the character from the ground up. Should work for the artifacts as well. A little more time-consuming, but should work. 
  • Tier 3 - Systems that are a little more intricate, where a direct conversion is likely not possible. Not very time-consuming, but may have to rebuild from the ground up.
  • Tier 4 - These are the very intricate ones that would take quite a bit of time to do. These would be the last ones to do... if I feel like it. Lowest priority

• Tier 1 = D&D 5e / Pathfinder 1st edition / Pathfinder 2nd Edition
  • Tier 2 = GURPS 4th edition / Fantasy HERO 6th Edition / Mutants & Masterminds 3rd edition
  • Tier 3 = D&D 4e / HARP 2e / Palladium Fantasy
  • Tier 4 = Rolemaster, 4th - 6th edition, all variants

As you can see, a lot more concise, fewer systems, and a tier that I can decided whether or not to use or not, provided I have the time.

I feel a bit better about all this now... like I don't have a huge weight on me. I feel like I can start...
Adam
Adam
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Tier System Explained Empty Re: The Tier System Explained

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum